Sunday 11 September 2011

how to talk about films and tv with and without sounding like a nob


Find out here, where you will discover definitve examples of both.

First Bill Wyman goes on about 9/11, drops a few stock journalisty truisms, happens to mention what cool parties he used to go to, gets all mystical and generally writes badly in the course of bigging up films everyone likes and has seen anyway with sentences such as
In each of these signal works, a sense of humanity, of the great worth of every life—and a shuddering appreciation of the apocalypse that accompanies every individual death—is palpable.
and
These movies haunt my own personal and inadequate understanding of the events of that day. Our understanding of the movies, too, is inadequate...

Next, our hero Phil Nugent arrives to segue from this boringness to retrospect amazingly on 'basic cable's big attempt to come to terms with' 9/11, the mediocre TV fireman drama Rescue Me. It is seriously good to read, and a great introduction to the Phil Nugent Experience, full of his trademark long sentences and descriptions which begin matter of factly but before you notice blossom into hilarious sardonic putdowns of someone you didn't think was being talked about.

It's rare to get a direct opportunity to compare someone who knows how to write about film/TV with someone who doesn't, so when you're done reading, humour me while I talk about out two things that I think contribute to the difference.

First, there's a really telling contrast in the way the two writers use references. Wyman's lame ones, ie
 like more than one of the characters in the movies I've been talking about, they were already dead.
and
Each features a shock, a wrenching sideways, whether from that plane engine falling on a suburban house to the revelation that something is very, very wrong with poor Betty.
are selfish: if you have seen the films already, they give you very little that you don't already have . Maybe if you are the kind of person who likes to know that your opinions about films are official - 'the bit where the main character turned out to have been dead all along, I knew that was the important bit' - you might have gotten something. If you hadn't seen the films before, then you are even worse off as you probably won't get anything at all out of the whole article. I suppose you at least gain the knowledge that Wyman thought they were good, but in the course of gaining it you have at least two of the stories ruined! Clearly the references (and really the whole thing) are not there for the reader's benefit, but for him to show off.

Phil Nugent's references, on the other hand, are there to serve. I've no idea how Bette Davis went to Louis B. Mayer's funeral, but now I kind of want to look up the story and find out. I know the general kind of thing to look for - some kind of cynical satisfaction I guess - but it will doubtless be fun to learn more. Phil Nugent gave me an Easter egg, basically. Even if I had known what was being talked about, I think I would have gained: the image sounds one that you smile when you are reminded of it. Who smiles when they think about the engine bit in Donnie Darko? Not me! The reference that I did get - the twist at the end, had precisely the right effect, not to mention being a genius piece of twistery.

The second thing is also about selfishness: the two passages differ massively in the information that they give you. Granted, he had more space, but thanks to Phil Nugent I now know pretty much all I'll ever need to about Rescue Me. In fact I found out more about it from the review than I would have done if I'd watched the series! On the other hand, Bill Wyman told me almost nothing: Donnie Darko and Mulholland drive are dark and contain shocks, almost like... 9/11! The thing about artistic antennae picking up the general zeitgeist or doing some Newcomb's problem thing (see what I did there?) so that films made before 9/11 could still kind of be about it is cool in a way, but I think I've heard it before, and it is also total bollocks.

So, when writing always namedrop unselfishly and tell people stuff that makes them smile.

Anyway make sure to read Phil Nugent's other stuff. His profiles of various Republican politicians and presidential candidates are similarly wonderful to his reviews of crap TV programmes, and he has done more reading and viewing than you can possibly imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment